Winter Weather Preparedness Week in Virginia is Dec. 1-7, 2013
To help Virginians get ready for severe winter weather, the Commonwealth has designated Dec. 1-7, 2013, as Winter Preparedness Week. Information and tips to help individuals and communities be ready for winter are available from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, online at http://www.vaemergency.gov/readyvirginia/winter/winter-preparedness-week.
* * *
Funding Available from Defense Department for Environmental Research Related to Climate Change; Pre-proposal Due 1/9/14
The U.S. Department of Defense’s Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program (SERDP) is seeking to fund environmental research and development in the Resource Conservation and Climate Change program area. The Resource Conservation and Climate Change program area supports the development of the science, technologies, and methods needed to manage the Defense Departments infrastructure in a sustainable way. SERDP is requesting proposals that respond to the following focused Statements of Need:
*New Paradigms for Managing Species and Ecosystems in a Non-Stationary World;
*Adapting to Changes in the Hydrologic Cycle under Non-Stationary Climate Conditions.
Proposals responding to the Fiscal Year (FY) 2015 Statements of Need will be selected through a competitive process. All pre-proposals are due to SERDP by Thursday, January 9, 2014. The Statements of Need and detailed instructions are available on the SERDP Web site at www.serdp-estcp.org/Funding-Opportunities/SERDP-Solicitations; or contact the SERDP Support Office at (703) 736-4547
* * *
Information for Donating to Relief of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines
InteractionAction is a Washington, D.C.-based alliance of international aid organizations. It's Web site on Typhoon Haiyan provides links to many organizations working to provide relief after that destructive storm hit in the Philippines. For more information, visit http://www.interaction.org/crisis-list/interaction-members-respond-typhoon-haiyan.
* * *
Virginia General Assembly 2013 Water-related Bill Inventory
The Water Center maintains inventories of water-related measures considered by the Virginia General Assembly in various years. Please click here for the most recent edition of the 2013 water-related legislation file.
* * *
Blog & Podcast
Virginia Water Central newsletter
in the News
- "Aqua Knots" from U.S. Water Alliance discusses examples of water education at various centers nationwide, including the Virginia Water Center (7/26/13)
- Undergraduates at Virginia Tech participate in water-quality/aquatic insect research in Virginia coalfield streams (1 min./43 sec. VT University Relations video, June 27, 2013)
- Coal mining and stream insects: Researchers explore the TDS connection (May 17, 2013)
- The College of Natural Resources and Environment focuses on water research (Aug. 21, 2011)
- Researchers study protection of water resources affected by coal mining (Oct. 4, 2010)