Mid-Atlantic Water Conference
Sep. 24-25, 2014
National Conservation Training Center Shepherdstown, W. Va.
The conference is hosted by the National Institutes for Water Resources (NIWR) and the state water research centers/institutes in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
Please click the logo below to access the conference Web site.
* * *
Water Center Grant and Fellowship Award Winners for 2014
Between January and June 2014, the Water Center conducted its two annual competitions for recognizing and supporting students studying water resources in Virginia.
This year’s grants, which are for the period June 1, 2014 to May 31, 2015, were awarded to following students and projects:
*Emily Lipscomb, Ph.D. student in the Virginia Tech Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering: “Effect of storm events on transport of antibiotic resistance genes in surface water and sediment: Implications for watershed management."
*Abby Lundstrum, M.S. student in University of Virginia Department of Environmental Sciences: “Using bioextraction to mitigate nutrient pollution in Chesapeake Bay: Is oyster aquaculture an effective BMP?”
*Alison O'Connor, Ph.D. student in the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) Department of Physical Sciences/Chemical Oceanography: “Mechanism and rate of uranium sequestration and mobilization in Virginia coastal groundwater?”
*Tyler Weiglein, undergraduate student in the Virginia Tech Department of Biological Systems Engineering: “Soil greenhouse gas emissions across a riparian-upland gradient: variation due to altered simulated rainfall frequency and magnitude.”
Under the Competitive Grants Program, the Water Center awards grants of up to $5000 to support research by students at Virginia colleges or universities. More information about this grant program is available online at http://vwrrc.vt.edu/competitive_grants.html.
William R. Walker Award Graduate Research Fellow Award
The Walker Award winner for 2014-15 is Heather Govenor, Virginia Tech Department of Biological Systems Engineering.
Established to honor the late William Walker, the founding director of the Virginia Water Resources Research Center, this award has been given since 1999 to recognize and support graduate students in water resources who are pursuing work in a field different from their undergraduate study, or who have returned to school following a period of professional work. More information about this program is available online at http://vwrrc.vt.edu/walker_fellowship.html.
* * *
Stay Ready for the Atlantic Tropical Storm Season, June 1-November 30
Click here for the May 27, 2014, Virginia Water Central News Grouper post with information on the 2014 season prediction and resources for staying informed.
* * *
Virginia General Assembly Water-related Bill Inventories
The Water Center maintains inventories of water-related measures considered by the Virginia General Assembly in various years. Please click here for the most recent edition of the current year's water-related legislation and for access to previous years.
* * *
Virginia Water Radio Podcast
Virginia Water Central newsletter
Center Highlights in Education and Research
- Water Resources Undergraduate Major at Virginia Tech Approved by Board of Visitors in June 2014 (Virginia Tech News, 6/5//14)
- Water Center Associate Director Kevin McGuire and others' research on streamwater chemistry patterns in April 2014 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (Virginia Tech News, 4/22/14)
- Water education at various centers nationwide, including the Virginia Water Center ("Aqua Knots," U.S. Water Alliance, 7/26/13)
- Undergraduates at Virginia Tech participate in water-quality/aquatic insect research in Virginia coalfield streams (1 min./43 sec. video, Virginia Tech Office of University Relations, 6/27/13)
- Coal mining and stream insects: Researchers explore the TDS connection (Environmental Monitor, Fondriest Environmental, Inc., 5/17/13)
- Water-issue studies underway at College of Natural Resources and Environment ("Spotlight on Innovation," Virginia Tech Office of University Relations, 8/21/11)
- Researchers study protection of water resources affected by coal mining ("Spotlight on Innovation," Virginia Tech Office of University Relations, 10/4/10)