William R. Walker Graduate Research Fellowship Award
Application Deadline May 1, 2014
* * *
Spring Wildfire Season in Virginia is Feb. 15-April 30
Spring's increased winds, low humidity, and dried vegetation incease the potential for wildfires. February 15 to April 30 is Spring Wildfire Season in Virginia, when the Commonwealth typically experiences the most wildfires and when open-air burning is permitted only after 4 p.m. if the fire is within 300 feet of woods or dry grass which can carry fire to woods. According to the Virginia Department of Forestry, about 97 percent of wildfires are caused by human activities. More information on Virginia’s spring wildfire season is available from the Virginia Department of Forestry’s “Wildfire and Fire Safety” Web site at http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fire/.
Spring Wildfire Season promotional image from the Virginia Department of Forestry.
* * *
Mid-Atlantic Water Conference
Sep. 24-25, 2014
National Conservation Training Center Shepherdstown, W. Va.
The conference is hosted by the National Institutes for Water Resources (NIWR) and the state water research centers/institutes in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C. Abstracts for proposed presentations are requested by May 30, 2014; click here for more information on abstract submission.
* * *
* * *
Virginia General Assembly Water-related Bill Inventories
The Water Center maintains inventories of water-related measures considered by the Virginia General Assembly in various years. Please click here for the most recent edition of the current year's water-related legislation and for access to previous years.
* * *
Blog & Podcast
Virginia Water Central newsletter
in the News
- "Aqua Knots" from U.S. Water Alliance discusses examples of water education at various centers nationwide, including the Virginia Water Center (7/26/13)
- Undergraduates at Virginia Tech participate in water-quality/aquatic insect research in Virginia coalfield streams (1 min./43 sec. VT University Relations video, June 27, 2013)
- Coal mining and stream insects: Researchers explore the TDS connection (May 17, 2013)
- The College of Natural Resources and Environment focuses on water research (Aug. 21, 2011)
- Researchers study protection of water resources affected by coal mining (Oct. 4, 2010)